Homemade Cabbage Rolls – Can Be Adjusted For Vegetarian

I grew up in Winnipeg where there is a strong Ukranian influence. One of my favorite dishes I discovered was cabbage rolls. They are a meal in themselves or can be served as a side dish.

I don’t bother making tiny, dainty cabbage rolls. These are the giant version and my recipe will make 50 giant cabbage rolls enough to feed your family 4 or 5 times.

The sauce is a basic tomato that I make and can be used for a variety of dishes.

To make this dish vegetarian, simply switch out the meat for shredded and grated vegetables. Choose the ones you like.

5.0 from 2 reviews

Homemade Cabbage Rolls – Can Be Adjusted For Vegetarian
Author:
Recipe type: Entree/side dish
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 12 – 18

Ingredients
  • 3 large heads of cabbage (freeze for 24 hours)
  • 2 lbs lean ground beef
  • 2 large 750ml can tomato sauce
  • 1 large 598 ml can unsalted chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • ¼ tsp pepper
Instructions
  1. Thaw cabbage in refridgerator overnight. This is an easy way to be able to pull off whole leaves that are easy to work with.
  2. Fry lean beef with chopped onion until browned, then drain. Put back onto burner and add allspice and cinnamon.. This removes the “wild” flavor of beef and gives a slight sweetness to meat.
  3. Cook a couple of minutes longer to mix in the spices.
  4. Remove and place into a large bowl.
  5. Now fry the pork with the onion powder and garlic powder until browned. Strain and add to beef.
  6. Place in fridge to cool
  7. Cook rice with 2 cups of water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes
  8. Add this to beef/pork mixture
  9. Add one can of tomato paste and one half can water to meat mixture and mix well
  10. Sauce:
  11. Combine all the ingredients for the sauce and let simmer while making the meat/rice mixture.
  12. Use deep baking dishes for these.
  13. Place in enough sauce to cover the bottom of pan
  14. Take one leaf of cabbage and lay out flat.
  15. Place one large scoop of meat rice/mixture on leaf
  16. Roll leaf over once
  17. Fold in each side
  18. Continue to roll up
  19. Repeat until your mixure is gone.
  20. Place cabbage rolls into your pans that you have “sauced”
  21. Cover and bake for 1 hour at 350
Notes
These cabbage rolls are great for freezing. Cabbage rolls can be rolled as large or small as you would like. Smaller cabbage rolls will produce 75 – 100 cabbage rolls This is time consuming but well worth the effort! Serve with sour cream

Comments

1. Mmmm! I love cabbage! I am going to have to try these soon :) Sounds yummy!
    Shara @ Wife To Mom recently posted..Have you heard of Thirty-One????My Profile

2. bina edwards says:

I admit it, I’m lazy and tend to just order them from work instead

3. Jeannette Laframboise says:

I have not ever seen a recipe like this for cabbage rolls but I am excited to try it! I am a MAJOR cabbage roll lover but do not make them often. A few years ago, I purchased some from a Ukrainian lady and they were amazing. I have never been able to replicate them. Ukrainian’s certainly know what to do with cabbage rolls! Thanks so much for the tip, I will definitely try these and enjoy every second! :-)

4. SueSueper says:

Making these right now!

Been making the lazy ones, (no rolling, only chopping). This recipe inspired me to go for it and make them properly.

5. bina edwards says:

now I’m hungry for them again LOL, gonna have to order some from work

6. Sounds good but I never buy tinned tomatoes so I would replace with fresh

7. Lee Pearson says:

Wow, these cabbage rolls look amazing!! I find cabbage rolls are a lot of work to make but are so worth the effort. Your recipe is very similar to my moms recipe. I bet your’s are just as good as my moms. Hey…you should have a cabbage roll giveaway!!!

8. My mother in-law is Polish and taught me how to make cabbage rolls, missed the part on the sauce. I started using tomato soup – but found the sauce very bitter. I will try using Pasta Sauce and see how they fare.

eva urban

9. I like you make everything perfect, I prepare them much easier.
    Fan R. recently posted..Enjoy last summer days – Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

10. Nena Sinclair says:

OMG!! I love cabbage rolls! I bet I could eat that entire pan full on my own! I haven’t made them in years, though, I’ve bought them from various stores and restaurants but they’re never as good as homemade! I think I’m going to have to make some tomorrow! (P.S.) I’m from Selkirk :)

11. Nena Sinclair says:

I love cabbage rolls and this sounds like a great recipe. I’ve gotta try it! Thanks for sharing!

12. Debbie Bashford says:

I am going to try this, I like the use of both pork and beef