In January, we attended the wedding of a friend in Manzanillo, Mexico. It was such a treat, getting away at that time of year. The weather was gorgeous and we were fortunate to meet a couple from Calgary as well. Turns out they live no more than 15 minutes from our own home!
We got along famously and decided to continue our friendship after returning to Calgary. Last weekend, we had them over for dinner. I was a little nervous about cooking, because, one of them has severe eating restrictions. I needed to cook dairy free, gluten free and nut free. They are also allergic to beans and red meats.
Once I began thinking about it, I realized that I really didn’t have much to worry about. There were a lot of foods I could make. Dairy wasn’t so restrictive after all. We simply tend to reach for dairy products, like butter, when we cook.
My biggest challenge was dessert. I don’t keep special non dairy and gluten free cooking ingredients on hand. That is except for coconut milk. I use this on occasion, so always have a can in the pantry.
I decided that this would amp up a dish of fruit. Who doesn’t love a little whipped cream? So, I placed the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight. Next, I separated the cream from the water by simply scooping it out. Cream will rise to the top when chilled. Just make sure you have a full fat can.
Now, I wanted to make two kinds of whipped cream, vanilla and chocolate. It’s super easy to do, without adding too many ingredients. You’ll have them in your cupboard. Go ahead and enjoy! Serve to your dairy free/gluten free friends.
- 1 can full fat coconut milk - refridgerate over night
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- separate the coconut cream from the water by scooping it off the top
- divide cream between two bowls
- in one bowl, add cocoa and 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- in the second bowl, add remaining tablespoon icing sugar and vanilla
- Beat each bowl 3 - 5 minutes until it is smooth and thick
- refridgerate until serving